Do you ever worry about your kids? What about your grandkids?
Today we're going to move into part 2 of our contemplation of Isaiah 44.1-5. Part 1 (vs 1-2) helped us to see what God is like, what He promises to do, and what we're called to do in response. Part 2 reveals God's heart and intent toward our children and grandchildren.
Are you curious about what He has in mind for them?
Part 2 - Isaiah 44.3-5
Part 1 ended by introducing something God wanted to say to His people. He started by asking them to trust Him by saying "Do not be afraid." Let's pick it up in verse 3 and let Him finish what He wanted to say.
"For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams.
One will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand 'The Lord's', and will take the name Israel."
Let me break down what I see God expressing as His intentions for your children and grandchildren:
- He wants to heal them! (water/thirsty land, streams/dry ground)
- He wants to pour out His Spirit upon them!
- He wants to bless them! (biblically that has more to do with knowing Him, than having lots of good stuff)
- He wants to help them to grow and flourish! (grass/poplar trees)
- He wants them to identify with His faith family! (calling themselves by the name of Jacob, taking the name Israel)
- He wants them to follow Him because they want to! (saying "I belong to the Lord", choosing to write on their hand "The Lord's")
(these 6 things could make a great prayer list for you parents & grandparents!)
God is faithful, and this is what He wants to do for your children and grandchildren! This doesn't mean we abdicate our responsibilities as parents and grandparents to pray and to raise and train our family in faith, but it sets an important foundation for us to build upon. It helps us to see just how committed God is to your children and grandchildren!
As your pastor, I want you to know that something we are going to take more seriously in the years ahead is equipping parents to disciple their children! In fact, this Sunday Pastor Trevor will be sharing some important things in the Word and from his heart for the children and teens in our church and community. Your children and grandchildren!
And as God instructed us to do in Part 1 (Isa 44.1-2), let's be faithful to Listen, Serve, and Trust.